Skip to main content

Kyudo Blog #5 - Video Shinsa

This past Tuesday I completed my first attempt at Shodan via Video Shinsa. It will still be weeks to months before I hear back on the results. The process, regardless of the outcome, has been enlightening.

A few major points:

  • Anxiety is apparently something I struggle with.
  • Practice helps overcome anxiety, to a degree.
  • I'm glad I had this experience, but I think I would prefer to do in person Shinsas in the future.
The anxiety may seem like nothing worth pointing out. And for many it may not be. For me, I haven't really experienced it since around grade 10. There was a point where I was stressed about a test, I told myself that stressing wouldn't improve my grade and might actually make it worse. That stuck, and I haven't really been stressed or anxious about anything since. Until now.

On top of that, I can't seem to shake it. Even if I identify that I'm panicking in the moment. Even if I know it is no big deal and that the panic isn't helping. I'm not sure what the difference is. If I had only felt it during the Shinsa and not also during the seminar last year, then I might think it more about the scarcity. Video Shinsa is offered only once a year, it isn't free and you get only one shot at it each time. The seminar wasn't a test though and my performance didn't matter so much. Best that I've come up with is; I'm personally invested in this. I chose Kyudo for myself. Previously, school tests were things of necessity. Aikido was something my parents chose for me. Interviews were things I needed to do. 

With all of that, how did I do? I actually think I did really well. In the moment I had given myself even odds at failure. I was panicking so much I don't even recall firing my 乙矢 (OTOYA - aka: my 2nd arrow). I was convinced I probably skipped some steps or screwed up massively. Rewatching the video after the fact however, my second shot actually looked (mostly) better than my first. I wouldn't say that I'm guaranteed to pass by any means, but I feel better about my odds.

And I think that this experience is key to controlling my anxiety going forward. It proved something I had been told earlier; that these situations will expose your innate skill level. And sure, I knew this beforehand, but knowledge and firsthand experience are different things. I can see massive growth since the last time I experienced panic while practicing. Last time I forgot steps and made errors in sequence. This time I missed nothing, even when my brain had checked out.

Could I have performed better? Yes. There are still many things I focus on while shooting, and when my brain shuts down, obviously I can't focus on those things. I'm stuck with my "default" settings. 

So, as mentioned above, I'm happy I did the video shinsa. I didn't really want do the in person one this year with fears around US travel at the moment and I thought this would be easier. I now kind of think that the in person shinsa would have been easier. And that is actually why I'm happier I took the video shinsa. The in person ones tend to span multiple days and with a lot of time to get in and stay in the right head space. On top of that, it is done in a "proper" 体配 (TAIHAI) and not the sped up solo approach.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyudo Blog #2 - Shinsa Prep

So, we're well past my first year. I decided to take the video shinsa for shodan at the end of the year. We also, have a new cohort joining the dojo. Things are getting interesting. This journey has not been at all what I expected. First, I had expected Kyudo to be both more and less introspective. Our dojo focuses more on Taihai, or the ceremonial/performance aspect of the art. And that comes with a lot of concern for harmony and beauty as a group. Making movements up to shai (firing line) in unison as much as possible.  At the same time the focus on the self is infinitely more than I could have anticipated as well. Posture, breathing, form and movements. Everything seems to have a right way of doing it. And none of those "right ways" come naturally. Beyond that there is also etiquette. Even things you might not associate with the practice itself are a part it. And all of these things then also need to be in harmony with everything else. Needless to say, I have a long wa...

AI Loops?

I've already made my arguments against AI on a financial level and on a technical level. Now they've started suggesting that you combine these catastrophes into one big, uber-catastrophe: don't even write prompts any more, just write loops! The hubris! AI is not ready. Period. I'm NOT saying that AI will NEVER be ready. I'm saying that, at the current moment, we're not there. Not even close. If you thought the crazy AWS bills of the past were something, wait until the first engineering teams start taking this advice. I guarantee you that it will be epic. A little part of me actually wants companies to just take this advice and let Claude run without any token caps. Why? Not because I want to see those companies fail, but because I want to see how fast Anthropic can destroy itself when these companies suddenly can't afford the bills which they need them to pay to keep the lights on. It would be short term pain for long term gain in the software industry. A me...

Kyudo Blog - Closer to yugaeri.

A new format and process for my Kyudo posts. I'm going to start by summarizing before I write. This is to keep me on topic before I write. Then I'll provide glossary of Kyudo terms at the beginning, followed by the post.   Glossary: YUGAERI (弓返り) - The way the bow rotates as the arrow is fired, bringing the string around to the outer forearm. TENOUCHI (手の内) - The proper way to grip the bow in Kyudo.  YUNDE (弓手) - The (left) hand which holds the bow.  METE (馬手) - The (right) glove hand.  UCHIOKOSHI (打ち起こし) -  The fourth stage of shooting in Kyudo where the bow is raised up above the head. HIKIWAKE (引き分け) - This fifth stage of shooting in Kyudo, where the draw of the bow begins. DAISAN (大三) - A intermediate in stage during HIKIWAKE where there is a pause before proceeding into KAI. KAI (会) - The sixth stage of shooting in Kyudo. Stretching out in forward and back into a full draw. HANARE (離れ) - The seventh stage of shooting in Kyudo. The point where the arrow is r...