Skip to main content

Kyudo - 2-Dan Shinsa Thoughts

A bit late on the retrospective but, I took a look at the video submitted for my 2-Dan shinsa and wanted to reflect a bit.

Honestly, I think 50/50 or worse odds to pass.

In a lot of ways, there was noticeable progress over my shodan testing. But the areas where it fell apart are the areas where the 2-Dan criteria does draw some specific attention.

Here is what the IKYF Shinsa Regulation say about 2-Dan:

Both the shooting form (Shakei) and formal movement (Taihai) should have good arrangement with evidence of spiritual energy (Kiryoku) in the application of the shooting technique (Shajitsu). There should be less uncertainty in the placing of the arrows (Yadokoro).

The biggest things I think will hurt me are:

  • Over shooting my walk up to SHAI
  • Going over 3 minutes
  • Pacing/Spiritual Energy
  • Adjusting bow upward in KAI
  • Shoulder up in UCHIOKOSHI
Things which are improved:
  • Aside from KAI, less wasted movement overall
  • Achieved good amounts of YUGAERI on both arrows (full on HAYA)
  • Both arrows parallel, grouped very close at similar heights
The ones I think are the most impactful are going over 3m and overshooting SHAI. While there is no formal rule about the 3m and I only went over by 9s, it is also a fairly widely accepted "rule". And while people have passed despite going over, I suspect it reflect poorly at 2-Dan as this is the higher of the 2 levels permitted for testing via Video Shinsa.

Overshooting SHAI may actually be the worse of the 2 though. Given how little of TAIHAI is covered in a video shinsa messing up this component in my own dojo does not reflect well.

The adjustments during KAI seem more minor to me. It does boil down to how refined they expect the overall and individual stages to look, but it is also the only other obvious examples that I could see.

The other areas feature real growth and improvement, but they make it look like I focus exclusively on shooting over TAIHAI. I limited the list to the ones actually worth pointing out. The biggest are probably the other areas where there is much less wasted movement and the placement of the arrows.

YUGAERI is unlikely to play a factor until 3-Dan or higher. IE - I don't think I'll get bonus points just because it may not be required at 2-Dan. 


I would probably fail myself.


But the bigger question is, what are my takeaways?

The day of, we did a lot of leg exercises. I'm not blaming them. In fact, I am to blame. And for multiple reasons. I haven't been strengthening my core and legs at home as much lately. But even more importantly, they were even hurting during the testing. Partly time to heal and partly adrenalin. The biggest factor was actually just worrying that it might be a factor. It got in my head. 

Even with that, I also shouldn't have overshot Honza. Since we were shooting at the Omae Makiwara, the markers we have for Honza and Shai are a lot more visible than they would be anywhere else in the dojo. I should have known my queues better. It isn't relevant that I wasn't focused on all of the right things. I had everything else stacked in my favor.

For the pacing/energy, I really need to watch some higher ranked individuals and then practice either in front of a mirror or on video. My pacing looks very flat and lifeless. This is one I haven't had a ton of time to focus on in the dojo either. It doesn't come up often.

And as for the adjustment during Kai, I don't even feel myself doing this one. I think I need to try going slower from Daisan into full Kai. Maybe I'll find the line at my lip much more naturally that way without the adjustment.

The shoulders creeping up I can't explain. At least, not conclusively. I know I have been working on the height of my Uchiokoshi among other things, but I'm not sure if that was the problem or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyudo Blog #2 - Shinsa Prep

So, we're well past my first year. I decided to take the video shinsa for shodan at the end of the year. We also, have a new cohort joining the dojo. Things are getting interesting. This journey has not been at all what I expected. First, I had expected Kyudo to be both more and less introspective. Our dojo focuses more on Taihai, or the ceremonial/performance aspect of the art. And that comes with a lot of concern for harmony and beauty as a group. Making movements up to shai (firing line) in unison as much as possible.  At the same time the focus on the self is infinitely more than I could have anticipated as well. Posture, breathing, form and movements. Everything seems to have a right way of doing it. And none of those "right ways" come naturally. Beyond that there is also etiquette. Even things you might not associate with the practice itself are a part it. And all of these things then also need to be in harmony with everything else. Needless to say, I have a long wa...

AI Loops?

I've already made my arguments against AI on a financial level and on a technical level. Now they've started suggesting that you combine these catastrophes into one big, uber-catastrophe: don't even write prompts any more, just write loops! The hubris! AI is not ready. Period. I'm NOT saying that AI will NEVER be ready. I'm saying that, at the current moment, we're not there. Not even close. If you thought the crazy AWS bills of the past were something, wait until the first engineering teams start taking this advice. I guarantee you that it will be epic. A little part of me actually wants companies to just take this advice and let Claude run without any token caps. Why? Not because I want to see those companies fail, but because I want to see how fast Anthropic can destroy itself when these companies suddenly can't afford the bills which they need them to pay to keep the lights on. It would be short term pain for long term gain in the software industry. A me...

Kyudo - 1st weeks with my first bow

This will be more of a normal journal entry. I think it is worth stating these things, but it doesn't feel very formal or informational. Here are some things I've encountered so far: Humility Not knowing all of the terms for the associated equipment Equipment mistakes (poor tsuruwa construction) Concerns Storage and blind-spots in care/maintenance  Excitement New "toy" Learning new things and overcoming some of the above Knowing I still have even more to learn So, yeah "humility".  I will admit now that I was not properly prepared for this moment. I think that, for next year, I will recommend more equipment maintenance lectures. There is definitely more for me to learn with regards to how to maintain my equipment and even what all of the individual items are. The first mistake was confusing the uchifukuro with a yumibukuro. To be fair, we only use the uchifukuro in the dojo and they both have the same basic form. In fact, both even have VERY similar dimensio...