Skip to main content

Kyudo - Summary though to Sept 10th

Trying to keep up on these posts. Not doing great, but also not failing spectacularly either.

Saturday was no practice due to the holiday, but a group of us did meet up and talk Kyudo over coffee. This time was more about how we integrate with the various communities (our own dojo, public, KAC, etc...). Was great to get a lot of different perspectives on how others describe Kyudo to others.

Tuesday was lots of video shinsa practice. Worked on getting timing down to 3 minutes. My better runs come in at 2:54 and 2:58. Apparently the 3 minute thing is not a hard time limit. But complacency is bad because I was able to find at least one reference online from another dojo talking about video shinsa and mentioning 3 minutes as a target and 3:30 as where things really start to get penalized. Official confirmation I cannot find one way or another. But I can blow past 4 minutes if I'm not trying to up my pace.

We had a number of the runs recorded. Problems I see:

  • YATSUGAE - YUNDE drops considerably. Better than it has been though.
  • End of YATSGUSAE - a bit of shifting of the bow. Ideally, don't need to adjust.
  • ASHIBUMI - Only easy to overshoot on church floors. But, from camera looks like it could pass as my draw length.
  • YUGAMAE - TENOUCHI seems too high, but when finger rotates out of way arrow droops low. Not even sure if this is a problem or not.
  • Generally, feet seem too far apart when not separated for ASHIBUMI.
  • Half steps back may be a bit more than half a foot length. 
  • TAIJOU -  Arms not rotated forward enough.

I think I can probably fix my elbows in YASTUGAE if I remember to focus on that. 

Also, I think that the arrow initially appearing too high is a symptom of not keeping my wrist aligned at the height of UCHIOKOSHI. 

One of the things I've changed in recent months is how high I'm ending my UCHIOKOSHI. If the top of my hand where the arrow rests angles up then, especially if it is rest on my index finger, the arrow will aim up quite a bit more than it should and then subsequently drop/droop MUCH more dramatically as the index finger detaches from the arrow during DAISAN. And then all of the angle problems get resolved during the remainder of the draw since the angle becomes much more flat with the rest of the arm.

Video will be recorded on Saturday and I don't like to shoot the night before a class to give my body time to recover, so I have tonight only to practice shooting related things. But I can work on some of the other TAIHAI related things tomorrow as long as I don't push too hard. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyudo Blog #2 - Shinsa Prep

So, we're well past my first year. I decided to take the video shinsa for shodan at the end of the year. We also, have a new cohort joining the dojo. Things are getting interesting. This journey has not been at all what I expected. First, I had expected Kyudo to be both more and less introspective. Our dojo focuses more on Taihai, or the ceremonial/performance aspect of the art. And that comes with a lot of concern for harmony and beauty as a group. Making movements up to shai (firing line) in unison as much as possible.  At the same time the focus on the self is infinitely more than I could have anticipated as well. Posture, breathing, form and movements. Everything seems to have a right way of doing it. And none of those "right ways" come naturally. Beyond that there is also etiquette. Even things you might not associate with the practice itself are a part it. And all of these things then also need to be in harmony with everything else. Needless to say, I have a long wa...

AI Loops?

I've already made my arguments against AI on a financial level and on a technical level. Now they've started suggesting that you combine these catastrophes into one big, uber-catastrophe: don't even write prompts any more, just write loops! The hubris! AI is not ready. Period. I'm NOT saying that AI will NEVER be ready. I'm saying that, at the current moment, we're not there. Not even close. If you thought the crazy AWS bills of the past were something, wait until the first engineering teams start taking this advice. I guarantee you that it will be epic. A little part of me actually wants companies to just take this advice and let Claude run without any token caps. Why? Not because I want to see those companies fail, but because I want to see how fast Anthropic can destroy itself when these companies suddenly can't afford the bills which they need them to pay to keep the lights on. It would be short term pain for long term gain in the software industry. A me...

Kyudo - 1st weeks with my first bow

This will be more of a normal journal entry. I think it is worth stating these things, but it doesn't feel very formal or informational. Here are some things I've encountered so far: Humility Not knowing all of the terms for the associated equipment Equipment mistakes (poor tsuruwa construction) Concerns Storage and blind-spots in care/maintenance  Excitement New "toy" Learning new things and overcoming some of the above Knowing I still have even more to learn So, yeah "humility".  I will admit now that I was not properly prepared for this moment. I think that, for next year, I will recommend more equipment maintenance lectures. There is definitely more for me to learn with regards to how to maintain my equipment and even what all of the individual items are. The first mistake was confusing the uchifukuro with a yumibukuro. To be fair, we only use the uchifukuro in the dojo and they both have the same basic form. In fact, both even have VERY similar dimensio...