Skip to main content

Kyudo - Solo Garage Practice

A lot of cancelled classes for the next little bit and the weather was a bit nicer so I decided to try and clean up the garage a bit and see if I could fit some practice in there. Generally, it was successful. Looking for better places to capture video from so I can improve my form. But, the Steam Deck + a webcam is looking pretty versatile.

I took notes on where SHAI needed to be (otherwise my URAHAZU hits the rafters). And did a bit of tweaking of my target so that it would give back my arrows a bit more easily.

Currently my process is: shoot one arrow, watch the video, find things I know I'm doing wrong, think of something to try to fix it, grab my arrow, rehydrate and do it all over again.

Right now I'm struggling with the YUNDE pulling my METE too far during DAISAN. I suspect that I'm extending too far into DAISAN. Once the METE has been pulled too far out, it needs to travel further using different muscles. I tested with my GOMUYUMI in the mirror and it is so much easier to get a nice even draw when I don't mess that part up. It also makes it more natural for my METE elbow to end up in the right spot.

On the plus side, I'm already noticing my efforts around not adjusting my TENOUCHI paying off. Aside from that one tweak, I'm not really working explicitly on YUGAERI, but during my first batch of shots almost every shot got about 50% and a few more got more like 75-90%.

As my arms got tired during my second round, something was off and I was getting much less. 

Unfortunately, the garage is always quite a bit hotter than outside. I may need to get a big ole fan for practice. Otherwise I won't really be able to do any more practice this week as the temps rise. That being said, I feel like my body needs one heck of a rest after today anyway. 

Other things I've used this time to work on are posture, stacking the shoulders and hips over the feet and my UCHIOKOSHI.

Anyway, not the greatest set of notes. But the more times and places I write stuff like this down, the more it sinks in. 

Oh. Also Ni-Dan registration was accepted. So, I have a somewhat limited time to fix my shit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyudo Blog #2 - Shinsa Prep

So, we're well past my first year. I decided to take the video shinsa for shodan at the end of the year. We also, have a new cohort joining the dojo. Things are getting interesting. This journey has not been at all what I expected. First, I had expected Kyudo to be both more and less introspective. Our dojo focuses more on Taihai, or the ceremonial/performance aspect of the art. And that comes with a lot of concern for harmony and beauty as a group. Making movements up to shai (firing line) in unison as much as possible.  At the same time the focus on the self is infinitely more than I could have anticipated as well. Posture, breathing, form and movements. Everything seems to have a right way of doing it. And none of those "right ways" come naturally. Beyond that there is also etiquette. Even things you might not associate with the practice itself are a part it. And all of these things then also need to be in harmony with everything else. Needless to say, I have a long wa...

AI Loops?

I've already made my arguments against AI on a financial level and on a technical level. Now they've started suggesting that you combine these catastrophes into one big, uber-catastrophe: don't even write prompts any more, just write loops! The hubris! AI is not ready. Period. I'm NOT saying that AI will NEVER be ready. I'm saying that, at the current moment, we're not there. Not even close. If you thought the crazy AWS bills of the past were something, wait until the first engineering teams start taking this advice. I guarantee you that it will be epic. A little part of me actually wants companies to just take this advice and let Claude run without any token caps. Why? Not because I want to see those companies fail, but because I want to see how fast Anthropic can destroy itself when these companies suddenly can't afford the bills which they need them to pay to keep the lights on. It would be short term pain for long term gain in the software industry. A me...

Kyudo Blog #3 - The basics

Right now my biggest (though certainly not only) issues are the fundamentals. The basics. Posture, speed and form. I know form is a very broad term, but I'm talking about specific forms like my ENSOU, or even TENOUCHI. On the posture front, I'm a software guy. I sit at a desk all day and have developed a bad posture for years. This isn't impossible to overcome. But it is far from trivial. And breaking out of a good posture mid performance can make an otherwise acceptable showing into a bad one. Correcting my posture, similarly, draws attention to its absence prior. On the speed front, this isn't technically a fundamental, but it is an area of focus at the moment. I'm doing video shinsa this year. And apparently I need from my YU at HONZA until my HANARE on my OTOYA to be about 3 minutes. Right now... closer to 4. My pauses between movements tend to be too long. I like to make my pauses pronounced to punctuate the division between one movement and the next. And this ...