Skip to main content

Kyudo - Garage Practice - August 13th

Didn't spend a lot of time on practice last night. I have regular dojo practice on Saturday and didn't want to be sore/worn out for that. It is always better to have people who know more than myself to lean on. I can only fix the things which I can, see, know they're wrong, and know how and when they're fixed. 

But I did want to try out a few things. And the focus of last night was a lot more on posture and trying to not be in the way of the bow so much that it hits when I get some rotation in the bow.

I had a little bit of luck. I don't want to intentionally ruin my form in other ways just to correct this. It is akin to not intentionally chasing YUGAERI directly. Which means I still ended up hitting myself. But none of the hits were anywhere near as bad as the worst I'd received previously. In fact I they probably wouldn't even have bruised me for the most part. And as a bonus, when I was getting a decent amount of YUGAERI, I was barely getting hit at all. However, I wasn't focused much on my grip, so my YUGAERI suffered and a most shits did.

Anyway, I just wanted to write something down so I can keep track of what I'm working and how it is going.

What I did notice was that it was very unnatural for me to be able to get the arrow to rest anywhere near my mouth without having the TSURU embedded deeply in my chest.

When I watch a lot of practitioners, there tends to be some degree of "lean" forward which I think I may be lacking. If my posture otherwise holds, but I lean forward, then my head will be a bit further out over my chest allowing for the TSURU to perhaps end up just lightly touching.

The hard part is confirming this. I may need to check the KYOHON later. The problem is a lot of online videos are head on. That makes the lean harder to see and just because someone else does a thing, it doesn't mean it is correct.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kyudo Blog #2 - Shinsa Prep

So, we're well past my first year. I decided to take the video shinsa for shodan at the end of the year. We also, have a new cohort joining the dojo. Things are getting interesting. This journey has not been at all what I expected. First, I had expected Kyudo to be both more and less introspective. Our dojo focuses more on Taihai, or the ceremonial/performance aspect of the art. And that comes with a lot of concern for harmony and beauty as a group. Making movements up to shai (firing line) in unison as much as possible.  At the same time the focus on the self is infinitely more than I could have anticipated as well. Posture, breathing, form and movements. Everything seems to have a right way of doing it. And none of those "right ways" come naturally. Beyond that there is also etiquette. Even things you might not associate with the practice itself are a part it. And all of these things then also need to be in harmony with everything else. Needless to say, I have a long wa...

AI Loops?

I've already made my arguments against AI on a financial level and on a technical level. Now they've started suggesting that you combine these catastrophes into one big, uber-catastrophe: don't even write prompts any more, just write loops! The hubris! AI is not ready. Period. I'm NOT saying that AI will NEVER be ready. I'm saying that, at the current moment, we're not there. Not even close. If you thought the crazy AWS bills of the past were something, wait until the first engineering teams start taking this advice. I guarantee you that it will be epic. A little part of me actually wants companies to just take this advice and let Claude run without any token caps. Why? Not because I want to see those companies fail, but because I want to see how fast Anthropic can destroy itself when these companies suddenly can't afford the bills which they need them to pay to keep the lights on. It would be short term pain for long term gain in the software industry. A me...

Kyudo - 1st weeks with my first bow

This will be more of a normal journal entry. I think it is worth stating these things, but it doesn't feel very formal or informational. Here are some things I've encountered so far: Humility Not knowing all of the terms for the associated equipment Equipment mistakes (poor tsuruwa construction) Concerns Storage and blind-spots in care/maintenance  Excitement New "toy" Learning new things and overcoming some of the above Knowing I still have even more to learn So, yeah "humility".  I will admit now that I was not properly prepared for this moment. I think that, for next year, I will recommend more equipment maintenance lectures. There is definitely more for me to learn with regards to how to maintain my equipment and even what all of the individual items are. The first mistake was confusing the uchifukuro with a yumibukuro. To be fair, we only use the uchifukuro in the dojo and they both have the same basic form. In fact, both even have VERY similar dimensio...